Keyword research is a very important part of overall SEO. It is the base of everything. Without keyword research, we are just floating in the middle of the ocean, without any idea about where we are heading, so said that let us understand in detail about Keyword Research.
Keyword Research is not a very hard process but it is time consuming, once it is done accurately, you can expect a high volume of traffic on your website and a boost in your search engine rankings.
Ranking on Google is not hard, once you get the right knowledge about the concept, we at MultiplySEO are dedicated to bringing your website to the top of search results and hence we are providing you this definitive guide on keyword research. Let’s get started.
Make sure to read the full article to understand the concept of keyword research effectively so you can be confident to implement the right strategy for your keyword research process.
Benefits Of Keyword Research In SEO
Keyword research is an important part of On Page SEO. The benefits of doing keyword research result in long-term success for your website rankings and traffic. Some key benefits of doing keyword research are:
- Improved Rankings- Keyword research helps you to rank higher on the search results for the desired keywords you want to rank for.
- Improved Traffic– Proper keyword research helps boost the traffic to your website tremendously and brings the right organic visitors to your website.
- More Engagement– The right keyword research process helps you to beat your competitor’s ranking and bring your website above them on SERPs, so you can get the most share of traffic among your competitors.
- Better Conversions– Profitable keyword research, once done correctly can bring you a lot of conversion and money through your website.
Profitable Keyword Research
In 2023, to make the most out of your keyword research process, you have to understand the concept of profitable keyword research. A simple keyword research process won’t help you to get the most of the ROI for your investment of time and money in keyword research.
Keyword research is a SEO campaign, In order to make it a successful SEO campaign you have to understand first what users are actually searching for, so you can make the most money out of your keyword research.
Profitable keyword research will help you to focus on the keywords that will actually bring you more money, in simple words, you will target the most valuable keywords from the long list of research of keywords.
To successfully implement profitable keyword research it is important to understand the various aspects of keywords like search intent of keywords, types of keywords, LSI keywords, keyword research tools, we will discuss everything in this article in detail.
How To Determine A Successful Keyword?
You can determine a successful keyword by taking these points into consideration.
- A keyword should have a specific amount of traffic numbers.
- It is also important to notice that once you write a keyword on Google and hit the search button, are there are sponsored ads showing up on the right-hand side of the screen, it simply means people are paying for that keyword and it is one of the most valuable keywords and can be called a money keyword.
- A keyword with a high amount of competition is also the right keyword but it can also be hard to outrank your competitors for that particular keyword. So it is advisable to move on to the next keyword which has low competition and is worth your time to spend and is easy to rank.
- A keyword can bring a lot of traffic to your website which can be unnecessary traffic, so it is important to focus on target keywords that bring the right audience to your website.
Search Intent Based Keywords
To understand the types of keywords, first, we need to understand the search intent of a particular keyword. So on the basis of search intent, there are two important types of keywords:
- Informational keywords: Informational keywords, as the name suggests are keywords that are general keywords that are used when a users want to get information regarding a particular thing or concept and the user doesn’t want to purchase something.
For example SEO trends, blogging tips, etc.
- Transactional Keywords: Transactional keywords are those keywords that are used by the user with the intent to do an activity or in simple words to buy a product or service or to sign up for something.
For example keywords like buy, purchase, coupons, discounts, etc.
Transactional keywords can also be called product keywords or money keywords as these keywords have higher conversion rates. More examples of these keywords include brand names or specific product name or services. It can include terms like “best”, “top” “reviews” “hire” “consultation”etc.
Types Of 3 Different Keywords
So after understanding the search intent of the keywords now we can move forward with the three different types of keywords:
- Head (Broad) Keywords: Head keywords are also known as short-tail keywords, they tend to be shorter keyphrases like 1 or 2 keywords only. These keywords are shorter hence they are less specific but hold a lot amount of search traffic. For example dogs, dance, games, etc.
It is basically hard to understand the search intent of these keywords as their search intent is unknown.
- Body (Targeted keywords): Body keywords are a little more specific keywords as compared to the above head keywords. For example dogs food, dance styles, soccer games, etc.
Here in these Body keywords, a user gets more specific about the search query which shows a specific search intent behind the search of these keywords.
- Long-Tail Keywords: Long-tail keywords are 3 to 4 words long and have a relatively less search volume but can be considered as converting keywords because these keywords users search a query for more detailed search intent.
Examples of these keywords are, buy dog food, best dance academy, best online soccer games, etc.
It is always advisable to go for long-tail keywords in your keyword research process as these keywords are more targeted and have a good search volume plus provide more chances of high conversions.
LSI keywords– Lsi keywords are the keywords that appear when you start typing something on the Google search bar and more suggested keywords appear as you type. These keywords also appear on the bottom of search results as “You may also like” or “People also search for”. These terms are called Latent keywords or LSI keywords.
It is really important to include all these types of keywords on your webpage wherever applicable, according to the need of your content.
keyword Research Tools
There are amazing keyword research tools available, some are free and some are paid that you can use like
Free Keyword Research tools Google trends, Answer the Public are helpful for the basic keyword research process and it does not provide much data regarding the keywords like keyword volume, keyword difficulty, organic visitors, etc.
To do high-quality, effective keyword research then a premium tool like Ahrefs is really helpful, premium tools provide lots of valuable insights regarding a particular keyword to implement successful keyword research.
We at MultiplySEO use Ahrefs for our keyword research process.
The Process Of Keyword Research
The keyword research process can be broken down into five crucial steps which are very easy to follow.
- The first step is to generate a long list of potential keywords using a keyword research tool and LSI keywords.
- The second step is to determine the search volume of the target potential keywords and narrow them down to a separate list.
- Once the narrow down of keywords is completed, the third step is to check their ranking data and competition.
- Once the process is completed, organize the list of final keywords to move on with.
- So with these final keywords, the keyword research process is completed and you can begin the actual keyword research into the action by determining which keywords are more profitable and which keywords can bring your website to the top and boost your search engine rankings.
Competitive Keyword Research
The best way to do keyword Research is possible by analyzing the keywords that your top competitors are using, and it is not much hard when you have a premium tool like Ahrefs.
It is advisable to analyze the work of your top competitors because they have done accurate keywords research and that’s why they are ranking above you.
How To Perform Competetive Keyword Research
- Identify your top-performing competitor’s website by searching the target keyword in Google.
- Copy the URL of the website or a specific webpage for which you also want to rank.
- Paste the Url in Ahrefs and click on organic keywords on the right sidebar.
- Now you will get the data of top keywords that your competitor is using to rank on top of search results.
- Note it down on a word file or export the data.
- Now you can include these keywords on your website or webpage according to the relevancy of your content.
So all you have to do is analyze their top ranking page on Ahref or Semrush and understand all the keywords they are using in their content to rank on top of Google SERPs.
Once you get this data then you can also include these keywords according to the need of your content and your ranking will definitely jump tremendously by some time.
Avoid Keywords Stuffing
It is important to include different types of keywords in your content but never overdo it just for the sake of SEO, otherwise, Google can heavily penalize your webpage and can drop your rankings. Content is the king and a smooth user experience is more important, so make sure to use keywords wisely according to the relevance of the content.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog and understood the various aspects of the Keyword Research process. A search query in Google starts with a keyword, so it is important to have a strong foundation in keyword research. Make sure you implement what you learn here on your website.
Also Read – What is On-Page SEO?